Friday, April 5, 2013

50 Ways To Better Business: #42: That Nagging Feeling

The long awaited end of the day arrives and  you are ready to pack it in! You've been ready to call it a day since around 0-Dark-30. That's OK the time has come to go and there is no looking back or is there?

Just the other day, I left work and about halfway home I had this feeling overcome me. It was a feeling that I had something still left to do.  As I drove further and further away from the office the feeling remained. No matter what I did I could not shake it.  It was that nagging feeling that I completely overlooked something.

The rest of the evening was uneventful.  I slept like a baby yet there was still something in the back of my mind but it was quickly replaced by sleep.

When I woke up, it was there again.  Will there was damaging to do until I got to the office.  If that's what that nagging feeling was about it was going to have to wait until I got there.

I arrived, opened the office, turn on the lights, fired up the PC, poured myself a cup of coffee, and settled in to get the business day started.

Around 930 AM, I get a phone call.  It was someone I spoke to yesterday around midday.  They call to say they did not receive an e-mail I sent.  Strange, I know I wrote it, I know hit send, was this the nagging feeling?
So I started the e-mail program.  Once loaded, the inbox showed me notification of an undeliverable message.

It seems that I placed a comma instead of a period between the first name and the last name of the individual that I was sending the message to.

Well, long story short I corrected the problem and re-submitted the email.
------

The moral of the story is simple: ATTENTION TO DETAIL will save the day!

If I had just looked at the email before I left work (one last time) I would have seen the error and addressed the issue right away instead of leaving someone hanging all day and night long. I could have also checked the email at home but typically I don't but the nagging feeling was there.  If and when that nagging feeling returns (and I am at home) I will listen to my gut and do what I can where I am. Who knows it might just salvage a contract?


-----

Until Tomorrow,
Dave Guerra
Rio Records Service, Inc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment